Search This Blog

May 27, 2009

Dog Jog a Success!

Well we attended the Calgary Humane Society's 2009 Dog Jog.

It was a blast! We couldn't believe how many people and poooches were there. We arrived at Fish Creek Park around 11:30 and the place was buzzing. There was every kind of dog you can think of.

The thing I found was that the atmosphere was surprisingly subdued. Most dogs were very well behaved and the dog owners quite calm. The weather was perfect, no too hot or too windy. I think though, a lot of the dogs found it to be quite warm half way through the walk. It was a pretty open area with little or no shade. I know our Oscar was panting most of the way and Mojo was pretty beat by the time we finished the 5 kms too. So this may have had something to do with the general feel of the event. I loved every minute of being there but I expected it to be more exciting and crazy with so many dogs in one place. I'm not saying this was a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was kind of expecting.

As a registrant, both my wife and I received a gift package that included a box of treats for the dogs, a dog jog t-shirt, bottled water, granola bar, beef jerky, poo bags and various coupons and brochures from local pet businesses. It was a pretty good haul for the $25 fee.

The Humane Society reports the event was a success in raising the much needed funds to help them continue the good work they do for our city's pets in need. THere were around 400 registered participants and there were prizes awarded to the four top pledges. $1025, $740, $685 and $600. We raised $520 so we weren't far off. Actually I should clarify, Mrs. Big Nate did most of fund raising so the thanks should go to her for taking the time to hit up our friends and co-workers for their generosity.

We certainly will be attending again next year.

Thanks again to all our friends, family and co-workers that supported us in this great cause for Calgary dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment